‘Subsidy Period’, an unforgetable time period for Vietnamese people from 1976 – 1986. During those hard times, our country had received many supports from Soviet Union in terms of materials, foods and mechanic tools for agricultural development in general and coffee cultivation in specific after the war. Our founder was just a 20 years old girl at that time who has to leave her hometown in Ha Tinh province and wished for a better life. She worked at an agricultral farm & factory in Dak Lak province which was under control of Ministry of Agriculture.
Tet 19xx(?), our founder received 500gr of coffee from her superior as new year gift, those coffee was from the first harvestment after 3 years of coffee cultivation there. Meanwhile, the coffee was packed simply in cement bag but it was considered highly valuable during Subsidy Period, when most materials are hardly satisfied in normal life. In addition, Subsidy Period means any behavior of speculation is prohibited, and it would be considered illegal if a person owned more than 500gr of coffee. Therefore, a motorbike or coffee shop is only in the memory of the people, and a daily cup of coffee in the morning was a luxurious practice back then.
After work, she brought the coffee bag back to her place, the strong scent from those beans couldn’t be trapped in that simple cement bag, as the distinctive smell of nutty and caramelized coffee traveled around her room and kept her hanging on falling asleep. Little does she know, 30 years later, as life gets easy or hard sometimes, those scents was still an inspiration for her to stay true and motivated in the coffee business, to find those wonderful aroma once again.
Sáng Product line has been created to portray the aroma from that night as it was sincerely, truthfully and delightfully describing the whole value of Vietnamese traditional coffee. The first Sáng’s product was introduced in 2011, when ‘Dirty food’ busted out as a huge problem in Vietnam, where a majority of people perceived an extra thick, chemically adjusted and dark black coffee as good coffee. While this perception is still existing until today’s date in suburbs, it is getting better in the central area where many coffee enthusiasts are restlessly promoting how ‘True coffee’ are like and making it more common.
Rexsun is one of the first two brands of Ban Me Gold.
It is a coffee brand that focuses on Vietnamese culture, etiquette and taste. We assign two roles for the Rexsun brand.
- At first, Rexsun acted as a keeper/retainer of old “melodies”. Therefore, Rexsun’s products often have nostalgic and bold Vietnamese traits.
- And Rexsun also played a role in reforming those tunes in many ways such as matching with other Vietnamese agricultural products.
The image of a coffee cup, calm dripping quietly, always brings strong memories and strong emotions that inspired us to create the Rexsun brand.
2. Rexsun – The Keeper
Rexsun is the very first brand to be born since the early days of our establishment.
Rexsun sparked a fire for a whirling, attracting and rushing into coffee like a moth just finding a light source, and urged the founder to find the meaning of coffee from the early days when Vietnamese coffee is also sparingly wrapped in cement bags. The founder has put memories of those old days into the products of the traditional lines of Rexsun.
The epidemic Covid 19 of the year 2020 gave us the silence to recap the surplus values of Rexsun, and we realized that Rexsun is like a ‘Keeper‘ of the simple, rustic and primitive values of the Vietnamese coffee, those traditional values have been gathered, maintained and reflected in our products.
Name & Meaning
Rexsun means king of the sun.
The sun’s image plays an essential role in minorities ethnic people’s culture and life in the Central Highlands. Focusing on Vietnamese taste and national advantage about coffee, we choose Rexsun as the name representing all products that highlight mentioned traits.
- Ban Me Gold Company was established at the end of the year.
- Rexsun brand was launched with the Sang product line focuses on traditional flavours.
- Launch of a new brand which aims at enjoyment, pleasure and harmony of coffee flavours. In which improvement of the Honee Coating Processing is a breakthrough.
- This is the year marked many important changes which help develop a breakthrough in the following years: Rebranding Honee Coffee, factory construction.
- This year was marked not by sales growth, but the breakthrough in awareness about Vietnamese coffee that was a powerful driver for us.
- Market expansion and rapid development in many new areas. Growth tripled compared to last year. And is on track for five-fold growth next year.
- An eventful year in human history and we are no exception.
4. Product Line
Rexsun main product lines.
Sáng is a product line that grows alongside with Rexsun brand. This product line focuses on the traditional flavours of Vietnamese coffee. Therefore the products will have features such as strong, bold and bitter flavours.
This product line focuses on soluble products. Instant Delight is a combination of coffee and other typical flavours in Vietnam. For example, Cocofé is a combination of coconut ingredients with coffee or Cinnamon is the perfect combination of cinnamon and coffee.